I wanted to leave you with a quick post today that answers many of the questions that I get as a trainer and strength coach on the reg.  How do I get stronger?  How do I lose weight?  How do I get faster?  How do I get a sexy body like you?  How do I get the results that I want?
Here are my top 20 tips for big results:
  1. Get excited every time you go train. – As soon as you have to force yourself to go train you have already lost.  Training should not be a chore but a release from every day stress and a way to challenge yourself.
  2. Have a program that will help you move towards your goal. – Whether it is weightloss, building muscle, staying fit as you get older, training for a sport, or becoming the Zumba master, there is a program that will get you there.  Going to the gym without a plan is like walking down the street naked.  It might start out o.k. but you probably won’t make it too far.
  3. Train 3-4 times per week and DO NOT skip workouts. – We all have those days where we feel over stressed, tired, a little sick, or are just not in the mood to train.
  4. Beginners should stick to the basics. – Warm up, do some heavy lifts, train hard and go home.
  5. ALWAYS start with a full body dynamic warm-up. I can’t stress enough the importance of a great warmup.  It will not only help to prevent injury but it will help you move better, feel better, and train better.  This is a no-brainer.
  6. Make friends with your foam roller before heavy workouts. – Especially with squats and deadlifts.
  7. Start with the “Big 3” each day or some variation. – Squat, deadlift, and bench press involve the biggest muscle groups and should receive the most attention when you are training strength.
  8. If you want to burn fat, eat fewer calories. – Best fat-burning trick in the book.  Multiply your bodyweight by 11-12 for a calorie deficit.
  9. If you want to gain muscle, eat more calories. – Most guys that want to put on size need to realize this.  Multiply your bodyweight by16-17 for a calorie excess.
  10. Add more weight or more sets before you add more repetitions. – Most people I see doing high repetition exercise are using pink dumbbells or using piss-poor form.  Don’t be either one of these people.
  11. If you want to get stronger, lift heavy weight. – You will NOT get strong by doing anything with a 5lb dumbbell.  Sorry to burst your bubble ladies.
  12. If you want to be more explosive, do Olympic lifts, plyometrics, and/or medicine ball throws.
  13. If you have a pain, back off and figure out what it is. – DO NOT train through pain if you want great results.
  14. Stop doing ineffective and/or useless exercises. – Follow the 80/20 rule.  Basically, 80% of your results come from 20% of your training.  The other 80% of your training that doesn’t produce results….get rid of it.
  15. Do high intensity work after your workout or on a separate day. – High intensity work will help your metabolism as well as your performance.  The time of 90 minute elliptical workouts is over.
  16. Make sure your habits reflect your goals. – If you continue to do things that are moving you farther away from your goal, you will never reach it.  You don’t know how many people tell me they want to see their abs but when I ask them how their diet is they confess all the crap they eat all week.  Go figure.
  17. Take a rest day or two, not a rest month or two. – You should be resting a few days a week and taking days off from heavy lifting to improve your recovery and keep you on track.  Taking too much time off all the time is just as bad as taking no time off.
  18. Pull something, push something, do something for your legs, do something for your hips, and do something for your core. – This is a concept I have thrown around a few times.  Our bodies can only do so many different things.  Trainer note: stop doing so many damn bicep curls and tricep presses, you work those muscles when you push or pull.
  19. Follow your plan for at least 8-12 weeks. – This is how long it usually takes to see/feel great results.  If you keep stopping short of this you will continue to be where you are at right now.
  20. Have fun and challenge yourself on the regular. It will make training interesting and keep you motivate to keep crushing PRs and moving towards your goals.

Thanks for stopping by, I will have great content for you all coming very soon as I plan to video over 300 of the exercises that I use daily with myself and my clients.  Production begins tomorrow so stay tuned.

On another note, I tried kombucha tea as was recommended by one of my clients.  It is simply delightful.  Random, I know, but kombucha is a fermented culture in green tea that  has medicinal purposes, is an antimicrobial and a powerful antioxidant.  My stomach has been having issues and I’m hoping this does the trick.


Written by Steve